Sunday, July 20, 2008
An unsafe world?
I want send this message to all my friends out there… BE CAREFUL… you are being watched and eyed by people, eager to take advantage on you…
Life had been so miserable lately… I wondered what had become of the world today… people around me are being robbed, one after another…
Firstly, it all started when Shin Loo had her laptop and her housemate’s laptop stolen from their house at Sri Kembangan.
Then Audrey had her laptop stolen too, at broad day light! She was leaving for her university and she went out to lock the gates. When she came back to her car, suddenly, there was this man, in helmet, who suddenly opened her car door. Before Audrey can react, he grabbed her laptop and her wallet! He then, rode off with his partners. With both of them wearing helmet, they were not recognisable and there was not much use of a pepper spray. Audrey tried running after them, only to fall down and injured her knees. Losing her laptop was bad enough, but losing her data, her experiments result, that was disastrous for a master student. She had to REPEAT the experiments and it was all hard work. I bet the robbers never thought of it when they stole her laptop.
Then there was Suk Teng, who had both her front car tyres STOLEN!! Can you believe that? Thives nowadays not only steal tyre rims, they steal tyres too! Yes, the round black donut thing. It was crazy! She got herself new tyres which cost her like RM500. Oh yes, there’s this ‘lock nut’ she recommended, which could help prevent your car tyres from being stolen, it cost about RM45 for 4 tyres. I plan to get them some time soon. You’ll never know.. these tyres-stealers- DAMN!
And Shin Loo was robbed at LRT station on her way to work, AGAIN, last week…- read her story here... and my mum had her handbag snatched too at the night market! (at the so-called peaceful city of Seremban!)
And 5 minutes ago, my friend Ze told me that she had just the same fate.. hand phone stolen at Mid Valley…
So much misfortune had happened to friends around me, life feels so miserable, I wonder whether I can take it anymore…. No more bad news, please… oh God.. Nowadays, I wonder whether am I being paranoid, believing that anyone would just jump out of a corner and rob me.. KL is not safe anymore, seriously… even a small city like Seremban
I did had my little bit of misfortune too, this week, but it was purely my fault. I had a fall, and sprain my foot last Thursday. I have been RICE-ing:
R – Rest
I – Ice
C – Compression
E – Elevation
It still hurts now though, and I wondered how I would tolerate ward rounds tomorrow morning. A person limping in white coat around the hospital.. hmm.. not a very professional sight, isn’t it?
Bottom line, to my friends, just be more careful, please…. And to the robbers, (though I doubt robbers ever read blogs), well, do think of others… you are not the only one being hit by the bad economy.. what comes around, goes around~
There's a few tips from www.sixwise.com on how to prevent purse-snacthing or pickpockets
1. How NOT to Appeal to a Pickpocket or Purse Snatcher
• Watch out for potential "set-ups," such as someone bumping into you or asking a question as a distraction while someone else steals your wallet.
• Appear confident and look like you know where you're going.
• Dress down. Don't flaunt jewelry or designer labels that let a pickpocket know you're likely to have money or valuables close at hand.
• Listen to your instincts. If something feels strange, go inside a store, cross the street or seek help.
2. Carry Your Valuables Safely
Pickpockets and purse snatchers love big crowds.
"Bad guys are looking for easy options. The idea is to make it difficult for them
• Keep your purse in sight at all times. Do not hang it on the back of a chair, the hook on a public washroom door, or leave it unattended while shopping or trying on shoes.
• Always keep purses closed and carry them close to the front of your body, or held tightly under your arm.
• If your purse is slung over your head, consider wearing it under your coat (this makes it harder for a thief to yank on the strap).
3. Protect yourself in advance by:
• Don't carry all your cash in one place.
• Carry only a small amount of cash.
• Don't keep your social security number in your wallet--it puts you at risk of identity theft.
• Carry only what's necessary, and nothing more.
• Keep house keys in your pocket, rather than your purse. If a thief steals your purse and house keys, they have your address and access to your home.
• Leave irreplaceable items (photos, important papers, sentimental trinkets) at home.
4. And IF (thouch wood) IF Your Purse or Wallet is Stolen - what to do?
Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, you can't stop a pickpocket. The first thing to remember is that your purse or wallet is not worth getting hurt over. If someone tries to take your belongings, resist the urge to fight back. While some thieves will back down at the sign of confrontation, others are willing to fight and may be carrying a weapon.
Your safety is what's most important, and while your purse/wallet can be replaced, your life cannot. Here's what to do immediately after your purse or wallet is stolen:
• Don't panic--try to think clearly.
• Call the local police department right away.
• Make a list of everything in your purse or wallet, including credit cards, checks, ID cards, cash and other items.
• Call your credit card companies and report your cards as stolen.
• Call your bank and tell them your bank cards/checks have been stolen.
• Call your Digi/Maxis/Celcom centre to report your lost, canceled your number and freeze your phone credits
• Apply for a new My Card / Driving license
• Monitor your bills for unusual activity, and report anything strange to the police.
You don't need to walk around in fear, though. Just pay attention to what's going on around you and use common sense about displaying valuable items and pickpockets are likely to stay away.
Dear friends and readers, Thank you for dropping by and leaving comments/ shoutouts. More importantly, thank you for being there... please accept my apology that, lately, i may be busy with work and not have time to reply youir messages/comments, but rest assured, each and everyone is read, and highly appreciated :) have a nice day! ^^
- *Recommended Posts* (13)
- about love and relationships (20)
- AMSA (4)
- at Hosp Teluk Intan (3)
- away from home (1)
- birthdays (3)
- Chinese New Year (5)
- Conference (2)
- confessions (7)
- confessions of a House Officer (18)
- Confessions of a Medical Officer (1)
- Confessions of a medical student -1st year (6)
- Confessions of a medical student -2nd year (5)
- Confessions of a medical student-3rd year (25)
- Confessions of a medical student-4th year (13)
- Confessions of a medical student-Final year (47)
- currant affair (7)
- Cuti-cuti Malaysia (3)
- events/festivals (4)
- family (10)
- Food Reviews (22)
- friends (3)
- fun (4)
- greetings (1)
- halloween (1)
- happiness :) (15)
- inspirational (7)
- interesting news (6)
- Just for laughs (12)
- Kota Kinabalu (2)
- Malaysian (5)
- Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO) (3)
- medical (18)
- Movies Review (10)
- music (8)
- my piano (3)
- nuffnang (1)
- poll results analysis (1)
- random rants~ (8)
- ranting (12)
- realmart (1)
- sad (11)
- shinyin (42)
- shinyin being bored... (15)
- shinyin being stupid (11)
- shinyin's random thoughts (27)
- Sibu (3)
- Singapore (1)
- song lyrics (7)
- stories from my childhood (11)
- stories from my highschool (KGV) (4)
- stories from my mother (1)
- Travel (15)
- Wedding (3)
- zhimuis (3)